Monday, March 8, 2010

The Motivation Station - Show and Tell

Martha, the maniacal meme maker from Menagerie, has come up with a new one - to check it out, click on the button to the right.

This is a leek.  I don't know what happened to it, perhaps it outgrew its britches, but I thought it looked cool, so I snapped it.

I know the feeling.  I don't have any pretty pictures of food because (a) I'm too busy eating it and (b) if it smells good and tastes good I don't care what it looks like.  I would make a crappy chef wouldn't I??  Anyway, back to leeks - fascinating I know.  Leeks look like giant scallions, or you may call them green onions or spring onions.  They bring a much milder taste to the party (as Alton would say) though and they're very good for a little extra flavor for people who don't really want lots of onion.  Probably leeks are most famous for Leek and Potato soup, deservedly because it's delicate and light and delicious.  However, I first used them in a dish that makes people who don't like squash, well, like squash.  Simple, just thin slices of zucchini, yellow squash, and leeks, layered in a microwave casserole with butter and dill - no salt and pepper or anything.  Cook till soft.  Yummy!  But you'd have to be there and taste it because it sure doesn't sound yummy.  When I can get leeks less expensively like at farmers markets and things I like to get them just to challenge myself to find more uses for them.  Just last week I used some cut small and sauted with mushrooms and herbs to put on the grilled lamb slice we had.  And I also put some with small pieces of apple, tiny pieces of cooked bacon, apple cider, caraway seeds, brown sugar, salt/pepper, and a teensy pinch of Chinese Five Spice Powder, which I put in with the drained sauerkraut, and poured that over the seared pork roast that was already waiting in the crock pot.  Used the apple cider to deglaze the pan after the searing, and added the others in from there  Mmmmmmm and it was good - better than if I had used onion.  As you can probably tell, I love to make up my own recipes, which is why I can't bake worth a darn, but I CAN cook, and, when possible, I choose the lovely, some would say lowly, leek to enhance my recipes.  Why not give them a try?  Peace.  B : )


I would be honored if you would visit my new on-line store and see some of the cards I have been making. Feel free to purchase some if you would like : )
http://www.shophandmade.com/store/justb

4 comments:

Ricepatty said...

Now I really need to go to the farmer's market :)

Martha said...

I love that photo! Very artistic B and perfect for the new meme! Although, I would love to drool over photos of the recipes you mentioned. The sound so good! :-)

Vicki ~ FL said...

I didn't know leeks were like onions only milder. I'll definitely have to give them a try after your description and great photo.

Linda :) said...

I have never tried leeks, they do make a beautiful picture... I snuck a peek at your cards, they are beautiful!! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails